Job Title: Development Director – Grand Rapids Revised: May 2019
Supervision: Chief Executive Officer Status: Salaried
Job Summary: Reporting to Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development is responsible for planning, implementing and managing all aspects of SLD Read’s development plan. This includes the development and execution of SLD Read’s overall fundraising strategy and annual campaign, cultivation of existing and prospective funding relationships, and management of all aspects of communications related to fundraising initiatives.
Quality Services – Strives to meet or exceed expectations in the delivery of services; contributes to enhancing the quality of the work environment.
- Plan, implement and coordinate SLD Read’s annual development plan.
- Research and develop SLD Read’s overall fundraising strategy and policies.
- Oversee individual and annual fundraising campaigns.
- Identify prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate those relationships.
- Plan, implement and supervise funding solicitation strategies.
- Plan, implement and supervise special events.
- Research and liaise with individuals and corporations to develop robust funding relationships.
- Oversee a current, accurate and secure database of SLD Read’s sponsors and donors.
- Ensure timely processing and appropriate recognition of all funding contributions.
- Develop an appropriate stewardship program to foster strong donor relations.
- Experience writing grants and obtaining grant funding.
Teamwork – Effectively works with other members of a team, drawing on all resources to achieve a common goal or solve a problem. Promotes teamwork as a way to generate positive and creative results.
- Identify and recommend community-based initiatives deserving SLD Read’s support.
- Identify and develop opportunities for SLD Read staff and board volunteers to serve as ambassadors in the community.
- Works cooperatively with SLD Read staff to match departmental needs with funding sources. Defines and develops strategies and solicitation methods for each project.
- Assist with donor information management, including updating information relating to contributions, events, sponsorship and special projects.
- Help ensure effective and thorough follow through on projects, timelines, and directions.
- Support collaborative work efforts with the Marketing, Accounting and other departments as needed.
Resource Stewardship – Manages resources, such as time, expenses, supplies, labor, and etc. well to ensure their prudent use; develops staff resources through training, mentoring, coaching, etc.
- Operates within and achieves all budgetary goals.
- Provides insight to our annual budget on particular revenue items on the P&L.
- Operates within and achieves all Income budgetary goals within our community support.
- Adheres to SLD Read policies and standards.
- Adheres to all local, state and federal laws regarding donations and follows all SLD Read standards for donor integrity.
Mission Outreach – Educates the community on services provided by SLD Read. Actively promotes SLD Read’s mission with students, families, communities and referral sources; offers services that fits the diverse needs of the community.
- Works with Chief Executive Officer to distribute press releases and public service announcements as necessary. Serves as main contact for appropriate events for SLD Read.
- Researches and identifies community partnerships/collaborations to promote SLD Read Programs. Develops & delivers programming to meet the needs of the community.
- Participates in and upholds the values and processes devoted to continuous quality improvement in all SLD Read operations.
Member of the SLD Read Team with relationships to other staff, CEO, COO, CFO, and CPO.
Frequent contact with SLD Read Board Members, volunteers, donors, media, general public and related businesses.
- A degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent required.
- 3 years’ development experience with emphasis on special events planning.
- Marketing and public relations experience preferred.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalent.
- Raiser’s Edge experience necessary.
- Ability to relate to diverse populations and cultures and communicate with potential donors and foundations in a courteous and effective manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be organized and detail oriented.
- Must display initiative in managing projects with minimum supervision and an ability to meet deadlines under changing conditions and circumstances.
- Ability to proactively multi-task and coordinate multiple projects and events with flexibility and an eye for detail.
- High level of energy, positive attitude, professionalism.
- Ability to work in a team environment & work independently as well.
- Ability to lift ten to twenty pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $18,000.00 to $20,000.00 /year
- Relevant: 5 years (Preferred)